The research activities carried out by the Water Research Institute are divided into the following lines of activity, as described in detail in the relevant in-depth pages:
- integrated and sustainable management of water and biological resources and understanding of the phenomena for the definition of methods and models for assessing the effects of anthropogenic pressures on the environment;
- biodiversity and functionality of aquatic ecosystems through the analysis of ecological and biochemical interactions between biotic and abiotic components;
- technologies for water purification, also for the reuse of civil and industrial wastewater, sludge management and enhancement;
- advanced processes for the recovery of resources and energy from the treatment of wastewater, sludge, waste, biomass in the name of the circular economy;
- innovative technologies for the characterization, safety and remediation of contaminated sites and environments.